Wednesday, 19 January 2011

Heartfelt Thanks ... but I wasn't sure whether to send it!!

Hello Fellow Bloggers

I hope this post doesn't upset anyone - you might want to skip straight down to the picture of my card!

Ever since my mother-in-law died, I have been thinking about making a Thank You card for the ward staff in the hospital. I wanted to thank them for allowing the family the time to spend with Eileen during her last two days - we were called to the hospital on the Monday morning once an x-ray had shown that her lung had collapsed and the cancer had spread over a large area. Different members of the family were at her bedside right up until the time that she passed away (except when the staff needed to do something, when we moved out of their way of course). I think we have found it so helpful in coming to terms with our sad loss, knowing that Eileen was surrounded by people she loved, and knowing for sure that she was as comfortable as possible.

So, I made a card. But then I wasn't sure whether I should send it - I didn't want to send a card and then find that, actually, there were other members of the family who didn't think that she was well looked after. And I haven't had the courage to ask Richard's Dad what he thought of Eileen's care. But my wonderful husband has spoken to his Dad tonight, who has said that he is very happy for me to do this. So I now just have to decide how to word the thanks inside, then I will send it off.

Anyway, here's the card:



The image is a Sugar Nellie stamp - Demure I think! I have coloured her with Promarkers, then die-cut the image using my Nestabilities Labels 10 die. I have stamped around the image with a Anita's Morsels stamp - stamped with versamark and then chalked over with a dark creamy colour (sorry, don't know the colour name!). The heart was die-cut using an X-cut die, and I stamped and heat embossed the sentiment onto it - I think the sentiment is CC designs - I've got a full set of thank you sentiments that I won in a challenge last year. The papers are from my new Do Crafts Hanoverian Linen paper pad - I think these are gorgeous, and I like each one. The embossing folder I used is also new, and is the same range, Hanoverian. I found the organza ribbon and the roses in my stash, and made a bow with the Glitter Girls bowmaker. I made the hanging charm with some chain (a necklace I found in a charity shop), a pearl heart and two pearl beads. And finally coloured some adhesive pearls with the same Promarker as I used to colour the card I used for all the matting. And that's about it I think - hope that all makes sense(LOL!).

I am very happy with the finished card - I must send it this week!

I'm entering this card in the following challenges:

Stampin B's Design Team - Use a die cut
The Crafty Pad - Something new
Wild Orchid Challenge - Let's get sentimental
Top Tip Tuesday - All sentimental
Papertake Weekly - Ribbons and pearls

Thanks for looking, and I hope you will call again sometime.

Enjoy the rest of your week. We have my Uncle's funeral tomorrow - we have been to see my Aunty Betty this afternoon, and she is bearing up very well - she says she is amazed at herself.

That's it for now.

Love, Andrea xx

12 comments:

Vixx handmade cards said...

So sorry about your loss Andrea, my thoughts are with you. The ward staff will very much appreciate your gorgeous card. As a nurse myself, just saying thank you in the card is just perfect, if thats of any help :o)

Take care hun,
Hugs Vicky xx

Benzi said...

So sorry for your loss. The card is just beautiful and I am sure it will be well received and appreciated.
Thanks for joining the Stampin B's die cut challenge this week.

Barbara said...

Andrea, this is such a precious card. I think that making,then sending this will make you feel so much better. I am sure the staff will be touched. Take a few of the words from your post and just write from you heart. I too am sorry for your loss. Perhaps take a picture of the card to show your FIL. He will be so pleased too.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us and for joining us at The Crafty Pad this week. XX

Dawn said...

I have learned through much regret that I never miss a chance to tell others how I appreciate them.I am now going through this process with my second parent- I couldn't thank the staff enough the first time and try very hard to remember them while my parent is still living.
Thank you for sharing this thoughtful card.
Just write how you feel- it will mean the world to them.

Monica said...

Your card is stunning... look at that cute, cute charm. And the image and flowers just look SO perfect.

I am sure the staff will be touched.

I admire the way you have been handling your losses... you are so stoic!

xxx Monica

Flutterby Trina said...

Your card is beautiful. Im sure the staff would appreciate it. Thanks for joining us at Papertake Weekly, good luck

Hugs

Katrina

xx

Rach said...

I am sure that the nursing staff will love your card hun and will appriciate your kind thoughts.. it is a beautiful card.xxx

Pinkllilac said...

Sorry to hear about your loss Andrea
this ios a gorgeous creation to send, love the colouring and beautiful image.
Thank you for joining us over at Papertake Weekly Challenge
Hugs Linda

Chelsea said...

Hi Andrea, sorry to hear about your loss. I think your card is just gorgeous and you should send it to the staff. It's your own good gesture and they will appreciate it very much.
Love,
Chelsea

Mina said...

its a beautiful card for a wonderfully heart felt reason, put inside whats in your heart dont worry about the wording or how it will look just say what you feel...I will be thinking of you at your Uncles funeral
Mina xxx

Caroljenks said...

What a beautiful card and made with such thought - how sweet. The staff will be so touched I'm sure.

I love the chalking around the image and the sentiment is fab.

Thanks for joining us over at Top Tip Tuesday for this weeks 'All Sentimental' challenge :)

Carol x

Sharon said...

So sorry to hear of your family's loss. I think the card is an exceptional idea! Of course, yes, given everyone's on the same page. The card is beautiful! Love the image.

Sharon : )